Map courtesy of Norman B. Leventhal Map Center
For information on getting oriented to Duke, employee perks & benefits, public transportation, etc., see our New to Duke/Durham? resource page.
If you have a concern about discrimination or harassment, please Report the Incident.
- Visa Status/Work Authorization
- Moving to the US: Housing, Utilities, Transportation, etc.
- Postdoc Buddy Program
- Health Insurance
- Childcare and Local Schools
- English Language Resources
- Spouse/Partner Resources
Visit Duke Visa Services for:
- Questions about visa status
- Questions about work authorization status
- Traveling within and outside of the United States
- A list of the departmental liaisons who work with Duke Visa Services
- Duke Postdoc Services--Housing Info
- Duke International House Housing Links--Whether or not you are international, I-House has useful housing information, including a list of temporary housing options.
- General information on utilities
- General information on banking and credit cards
- Duke University Federal Credit Union (DUFCU) is a non-profit financial cooperative; all Duke employees and their immediate family members are eligible to join DUFCU.
- WellsFargo has a Duke Medical Center branch.
Climate, Time, and Currency
- General informationon North Carolina weather.
- Time zone information.
- Basic information on U.S. Currency.
Driver's License/State Indentification Card/Auto Information
- Duke Postdoc Services--Driver's License & Car Registration
- Duke International House--NC Driver's License and Lessons
- North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles--Getting a Driver's License or State ID Card
- Purchasing a Pre-Owned Car
- Duke offers the GoPass to employees, allowing unlimited rides on select local transit systems for a small yearly fee.
- The free Duke Buses travel between Duke’s West, East, and Central campuses.
- Go Durham is the Durham city bus service.
- GoTriangle provides transportation between Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, and Raleigh.
- The free Robertson Scholars Express Bus travels between Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill during the academic year.
- The Duke Housing Map shows bus stops located near Durham apartment complexes.
Sign up for the Duke Postdoc Buddy Program, which helps new postdocs adjust to life at Duke by matching them with more experienced postdocs.
- Postdoctoral Associates--Health and Insurance Benefits Enrollment Info from Duke Postdoc Policy
- Postdoctoral Scholars--Health and Insurance Benefits Enrollment Info from Duke Postdoc Policy
- Duke International House--Health Insurance information for Visiting Scholars (non-postdoctoral appointees)
- Duke HR--Medical and Dental Benefits
- General information on local childcare and school options.
- Durham Technical Community College offers free English as a Second Language (ESL) courses in Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Duke International House English as a Second Language.
- Duke International House English Language Club for Duke employees, students, and their spouses/partners.
- Toastmasters International is a great way to improve your spoken English and leadership skills. There are chapters based all over the Triangle, including three Duke chapters.
- Watch an NIH videocast of one of Duke's favorite speakers, Scott Morgan, on Improving Spoken English.
- The Duke Writing Studio meets with Duke faculty, graduate students, and staff on a space-available basis. These community members may schedule a maximum of five appointments. The emphasis of these five sessions will be to familiarize users with online and help-for-hire resources, workshop opportunities, and self-revision techniques. The Writing Studio also has a list of online ESL/EFL writing resources.
- The UNC Writing Center has online ESL resources and a list of editors, proofreaders, and tutors for hire.
- Duke International House list of resources for the spouses/partners of Duke community members
- Many internationals wonder if they or their spouse/partner can get their 'foot in the door' by volunteering. While it may be possible, Federal law limits severely the kinds of employment an alien in temporary visa status may undertake in the US. Please see the Visa Services Volunteer Activities page for more information.
Interstride is a powerful app tool for international students and researchers looking to unlock their full potential, and discover unlimted opportunites in their career and beyond
Duke University has a site license so that students and researchers may use Interstride. Sign in using your Duke UniqueID at https://www.interstride.com/duke/